Wednesday, June 07, 2006

I Miss You, Totes Umbrella..


I do not often misplace things, or lose things, but a few years ago I lost my Totes umbrella, and miss it to this day.

I have a slightly obsessive nature, and everything has it's place. This is one of the reasons why I have never lost a pair of sunglasses or misplaced my wallet or anything of the sort. I thought I lost my Social Security card a few years back, but recently found it in a pile of old bills.

Anyway, when I first moved to this city nine years ago, my parents gave me the Totes umbrella that had been riding around in the back of Dad's car for who knows how many years. They never used it, and figured I would put it to good use living in a 'walking' city. They were right, and I loved the thing. The perfect size, weight and sturdy as hell. It never blew inside out, it was big enough to cover my bubble butt and my messenger bag, but compact enough to fit nicely into said bag. It was black, non-descript, and had a nice, faux wood grain handle that held the metal end thingys when the umbrella was collapsed.

It was a faithful and dutiful friend. No matter how late the evening, how drunk and stumbly, how many cab rides home, trips to friend's homes, doctor's offices, shopping excursions, I always remembered to take it back home with me. Until one fateful night.

I was at a friend's apartment five blocks from mine. It had been raining all day and night. We sat around drinking and watching movies. I called a car to take me home. Even though home was close by, it was after 2am, I was drunk, and there had been suspicous types seen in the neighborhood. I felt it best to pay the five bucks for a safe ride. I wasn't any drunker than any other night, but I must have been distracted by something, because I left my Totes in the back of that car. I failed to realize it was gone until the next night, when it started raining again.

Like most New Yorkers, I have a fairly large and diverse back-up set of umbrellas. Never returned, left behind, last minute seven dollar on the corner umbrellas that will do in a pinch, but we all have a favorite. My favorite took a ride in a TLC car and was never seen again. I hope someone has it and appreciates it as much as I did.

Now that it's been a couple of years, my back-up umbrella stash has dwindled to almost nothing. And on a long, rainy day, I think back to my Totes. I have been reluctant to buy a new one, I have no idea if they make 'em like they used to, but I think it's time to try. I think I am ready.

No comments: