Saturday, June 28, 2014

My Friday in Sexism


So, this is the thing I have been walking past on my way to coffee on the weekends for a few weeks now. Every time I look at it, it makes me mad. And maybe because I am always in need of coffee when I see it, it took me this long to figure out why it makes me so mad.

Because being the prettiest is important.
Because being 'happy' is ideal for a girl.
Because I have been dealing with this shit for YEARS.
Because when I was six or seven, when I would get mad about something, and be a little bitchy about it, my dad would tell me to stop, because I was a nice girl. Which only made me more angry.
Because strange men on the street feel compelled to tell me to 'smile'.
Because some schmuck thought this was a good enough idea to actually make a mass produced product with this drivel on it.
Because someone must be buying this shit, or it wouldn't still be in the window.
Because... UGH.

As a tangent to the being happy (aka NICE), as a girl should be, I was watching the Andy Murray match at Wimbledon, and the commentators were talking about Andy's new coach, Amelie Mauresmo. I know a lot has been written by this supposedly unlikely duo. The sexism had been thick. So I am casually listening to the two men talking about the match, and they throw out this little gem (paraphrased):

Commentator one: "Andy has been known to get angry and frustrated on the court, and take it out on his coach by yelling at him. I wonder if he'll do that to Amelie."
Commentator two: "Well, I certainly hope not!"

Oh yes. God forbid that Andy Murray yell at the delicate woman during one of his on court tantrums. The delicate woman who excelled in her sport for years. Who was at one time ranked number one, won Wimbledon and the Australian Open. Who took the silver medal in the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens. Who is a Fed Cup captian! Yes, please oh please, let's hope that Andy Murray treats her like the delicate, fragile woman that she is... GAH.

Seriously, people. You have all totally ruined my Friday.

UPDATE: A friend shared this on facebook today. Fight the good fight, ladies!

No comments: