Sunday, May 06, 2007

The Rocket!



Yes, Yankee fans, The Rocket, Roger Clemens is back in pinstripes! And I couldn't be happier.


As a life long Yankee fan, I am not usually a fan of the gross display of money and power George Steinbrenner is so fond of. I was not thrilled when we got A-Rod (although I am eating my words this season - YAY!), and was pretty disgusted with the acquisition of Randy Johnson (and good riddance). Back in the late 90's, when the Yankees won all those World Series, it was a team of great players who were not necessarily marquee names. The teams that have won since have been similar in the fact the they were just a great combination of players that had chemistry and talent that burned brightly. Steinbrenner's insistence on spending huge amounts of money have not resulted in anymore rings, and I feel like that approach is not really the best idea.


But this season has been different for me. We started out with pitching that looked great on paper, and I was really excited about the teams prospects. Finally, we had pitching that gave us a great shot at the post-season. Then the pitchers began to fall. Hamstrings, sore elbows, and last week a broken leg! The bullpen was being run into the ground and baby pitchers were being pulled up from the Minors left and right.


So today I'm watching a great game, a shut-out pitched by Rasner, Matsui got his 2000th career hit, and during the seventh inning stretch, Roger Clemens stands up in the owners box and tells everyone he is a Yankee again. I was stunned. And then, extremely excited! I had no idea I would feel that way. Roger said he hoped to be pitching by early June, and I certainly can't wait!

No comments: